Article <v10kkm$7k7$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v10kkm$7k7$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Can D simulated by H terminate normally?
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 13:05:09 -0500

On 5/2/2024 4:29 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> olcott <polcott333@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> [ .... ]

>>> Is that it?  Is that tired old piece of copy and paste supposed to be a
>>> mathematical definition?  It doesn't look like one to me.
>
>> Experts in the C language could directly confirm that no D simulated
>> by H can possible reach past its own line 3.
>
> I am an expert in the C language, and it is abundantly clear that the
> above assertion is meaningless without a clear specification for H.
> Quite obviously, if H(x, x); on L3 returns zero, the program will proceed
> to L6 and terminate.

It turns out that {D is simulated by H} is a sufficiently complete
specification.

>> Everyone here has perpetually pretended that they did not understand
>> this so I had to get an outsider to confirm this:
>
> It's not a matter of "understanding".  It's you that lacks understanding,
> not everybody else.

If that was true then four people would not have been able
to correctly answer the question.

>> On 6/14/2022 6:47 AM, Paul N wrote:
>>> Yes, it is clear to us humans watching it that the program is
>>> repeating itself. Thus we can appreciate that it will never reach the
>>> final "ret" - indeed, it won't even get to the infinite loop
>>> identified above.
>
> Thanks for the citation.  But it's unclear precisely what Paul N was
> agreeing to.

*It was clear enough for Richard to agree yesterday*
http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3C1a63f362-31ad-4d75-b339-f91b2d95ea00n%40googlegroups.com%3E

> You're not known for expressing your ideas clearly and
> permanently - the symbols and terms you use are usually vaguely defined
> at best, and change their precise meaning over time, and from post to
> post.

00 int H(ptr x, ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
01 int D(ptr x)
02 {
03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
04   if (Halt_Status)
05     HERE: goto HERE;
06   return Halt_Status;
07 }
08
09 void main()
10 {
11   H(D,D);
12 }

>>> That's a barefaced lie.  Who has done such "verification", how, and
>>> when,
>
>> Two experts in the C programming language and two people with masters
>> degrees in computer science.
>
> Their names, please.  And the dates and places of their "verifications",
> too.

No. What I said is self-evidently true. If you are an expert
at C and don't see that it is self-evidently true you are
either playing head games or exaggerating your C skill.
*Try and find a counter-example* That none exists proves
that I am correct.

>> Basically everyone that knows C very well and tell the truth.
>
> I know C exceptionally well, and always tell the truth on Usenet.  It's
> clear to me your (a) is at best problematic.  Richard has pointed out
> some of these problems, and you have failed to address them.

Richard pointed out the when *D is not simulated by H*
then (a) is not met yet (a) requires that *D is simulated by H*
So Richard was not paying any attention at all.

>  Again, it's
> unclear what these experts (if they exist) were saying, what they were
> saying it about, and whether they were answering sincerely, or just
> getting a crank off their backs with as little effort as possible.
>
>> If you lack sufficient technical expertise to understand this
>> easily verified fact then you are unqualified to evaluate my work.
>
> There you go again.  Your (a) is not a fact, much less verified.

When Richard tried to find a counter-example his
"counter-example" merely proved that he was not paying
any attention at all. Try and provide your own
counter-example.

>  My
> understanding of it is not in question.  It is you who appear to lack
> sufficient understanding to work in this area of mathematics.

We are not yet beginning to talk about mathematics.
We are only talking about the behavior of an infinite
set of H/D pair C functions.

Changing the subject it no longer a form of rebuttal
that I can tolerate because of my POD24 diagnosis.

Validation of POD24 as a robust early clinical end point of poor
survival in FL from 5225 patients on 13 clinical trials
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34614146/

After we have mutual agreement that (a) is a verified
then we can move on to the next point.