Article <v11fq2$2tlr1$4@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v11fq2$2tlr1$4@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Can D simulated by H terminate normally?
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 21:48:50 -0400

On 5/2/24 5:55 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/2/2024 4:07 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> olcott <polcott333@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [ .... ]

>> [ .... ]

>>> All of the "points" that you have been making were entirely anchored in
>>> your ignorance about what "simulating termination analyzer" are and how
>>> they work.
>>
>> I think it much more likely that there's no such thing as a "simulating
>> termination analyzer".  I.e. there's no theory about it, no interesting
>> results, no use for it, or anything like that.  I've asked you several
>> times to define this object, other people have asked you too, yet you
>> fail to do so.  Producing a few lines of scrappy C code is not anything
>> like producing a definition.
>>

> *It has been a fully operational software system for a few years now*

No, as it gives the wrong answer to the problem that it was written to
solve.

Since that that time, your claim WAS that you were working on the actual
Halting Problem, but claimed that H(D,D) could be correct saying its
input represents a non-halting pattern, even though, by DEFINITION,
since D(D) halt it is an incorret answer.

You gave all sorts of LIES about why a wrong answer could be right.

Now, you just obfuscate what you are actually doing by changing some of
the terms, without actually defining them, but still making you proven
incorrect claims.

> Universal Turing Machine (UTM) having the x86 language as its Machine
> description language. https://github.com/plolcott/x86utm

And thus you are STILL indicting that this is about the actual Halting
Problem and claims that these are "Turing Equivalents" (except they
aren't) so your claims are still proven to be lies.

The biggest part is the code you say is the description of the machine
D, isn't, as just that piece of code isn't a "program" but a "program
fragment" and thus everything after that is just a lie.

>> "Simulating termination analyzer" probably just means halt decider.  We
>> all know there's no such thing.
>>

> *This is probably the best simulating termination analyzer available*
>
> *AProVE: Non-Termination Witnesses for C Programs*
> To prove (non-)termination of a C program, AProVE
> uses the Clang compiler [7] to translate it to the
> intermediate representation of the LLVM framework [15].
> Then AProVE symbolically executes the LLVM program ...
> https://verify.rwth-aachen.de/giesl/papers/TACAS22.pdf

Right, and look at what they actually claim.