Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v121vo$db1f$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: How 3-capacitor sine generator works really?
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 16:58:50 +1000

On 3/05/2024 4:14 pm, RodionGork wrote:
> Hi Friends!
>
> Schematic / simulation in "Falstad online simulator":
> https://tinyurl.com/23hcg8np
>
> This is probably very old and widely known schematic of single-transistor
> generator which requires no inductance, but instead uses three capacitors - actually it seems to be a chain
> of high-pass single-stage filters with transistor serving as feedback from output to input.
>
> One can find it, for example, in classic stylophone schematic (the part creating low-frequency
> oscillations for "vibratto" effect).
>
> I teach it to my pupils for years probably and I always thought I less or
> more understood what is happening inside - each filter stage gives shift in phase and hence when
> amplifying feedback is added you get harmonic oscillations.
>
> However on the schematic given above I added 4 scopes over the length of
> the filter (potentials
> at the points A, B, C, D according to labels - here A and B are potentials
> at points between capacitors, C is at the base and D at collector) - I
> suddenly found that intermediate voltages are
> not pretty harmonic! They could be distorted by the current drawn into
> transistor base though. And
> I'm not sure the output is exactly sine now. Though probably it is a matter
> of adding some resistor  to improve input impedance of transistor cascade?
>
> Regretfully I can't find any thorough explanation of the schematic
> (probably due to keywords being too general and I don't know if this design
> has fancy proper name). So I would be grateful either
> for links or for verbal clarifications.

It's a phase shift oscillator - one of many.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-shift_oscillator

The amplitude is limited by clipping in the single transistor amplifier.
If you model it with LTSpice, you can get the program to produce a
Fourier transform of the output waveform and it is going to have all the
harmonics out to the cut-off frequency of the transistor.

You can do better, but it takes more components.

Here's a solution I came up with back in 1986, developed as a retrofit
to excite a linear variable differential transformer used to measure the
progressively increasing mass of a single crystal of gallium arsenide
(GaAs) being grown in the Metals Research GaAs Liquid-Encapsulated
Czochralski (LEC) crystal puller. The circuit it replaced had been
developed a decade earlier and used components that had become obsolete
in 1986. The new circuit replaced it in new machines and was retrofitted
to some older machines.

Only about 50% of the power fed into the oscillator ends up in the load,
rather than the better than 90% transfer you can get with a classic
Class-D oscillator – but it’s quite a lot more efficient than any of the
low distortion oscillators I know about, and it lends itself to very
precise control of the output amplitude. I’ve generated quite a few
Spice models of various implementations of the idea, but I’ve yet to get
around to building a current version of the real circuit – the 1986
version worked fine, but at that time I wasn’t aware how good the
circuit could be and didn’t have any reason to check out its performance
in detail.

Here's a proof-of-principle simulation - which doesn't have anything in
common with the 1986 circuit.

http://sophia-electronica.com/BillsBaxandall.html

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney