Article <v13tia$qers$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v13tia$qers$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: D(D) simulated by H cannot possibly reach past its own line 03
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 18:55:54 -0500

On 5/3/2024 5:42 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/3/2024 8:40 AM, olcott wrote:
>> 00 int H(ptr x, ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
>> 01 int D(ptr x)
>> 02 {
>> 03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
>> 04   if (Halt_Status)
>> 05     HERE: goto HERE;
>> 06   return Halt_Status;
>> 07 }
>> 08
>> 09 void main()
>> 10 {
>> 11   H(D,D);
>> 12 }
>>
>> We are examining the behavior of D(D) for every possible H/D pair
>> where 1 to N steps of D(D) are simulated by H.
>>
>> *Execution Trace*
>> Line 11: main() invokes H(D,D) that simulates D(D)
>>
>> *keeps repeating* (unless aborted)
>> Line 01
>> Line 02
>> Line 03: simulated D(D) invokes simulated H(D,D) that simulates D(D)
>>
>> *Simulation invariant*
>> D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach past its own line 03.
>>
>> (a) It is a verified fact that for every possible H/D pair where
>> 1 to N steps of D(D) are simulated by H that this simulated D(D)
>> cannot possibly reach past its own line 03.
>
> Since everyone is denying these facts on the basis that no one
> here has a clue about what execution traces are and how they work
> it makes no sense to go to the next step.

The next step depends on this prior step and is trivially
entailed by this prior step. When each D simulated by H
of the infinite set of H/D pairs cannot possibly reach past
its own line 03 then it cannot possibly reach its own line
06 and halt.

There is one more software engineering step that depends
on the above steps and is trivially entailed by the above
step. After this last software engineering step we begin
to get into the computer science steps.