Article <v1508k$14plg$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1508k$14plg$1@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux doesn't seem to manage memory very well
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 10:48:04 +0100

On 04/05/2024 01:13, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> I wouldn't know what to do with 8GB (well I know some people like
> to run lots of VMs, but that's too much to think about in my
> opinion).

Once you run a GUI and some modern python style code its amazing how
much ram crap apps can gobble up

I just upgraded from 8GB because the combination of 3GB of windows VM
plus a browser running a 3D printers webserver with embedded video, plus
a Python 3D slicer  overwhelmed the machine and sent it into swap.

Firefox seems to spawn an infinite number of 'webkit' and 'isolated web
company' children

Especially with necessary ad blockers installed

Thunderbird is over half a GB

Orca slicer is 400GB+

Plus two instances of a linux game I am playing takes *hard* usage to
over 8GB/ I.e before cached files etc.

Now these are all things I want to do *at the same time*. Edit in
windows VM, pass 3D files to the slicer, monitor print progress via the
web interface, and play a linux game to while away the minutes waiting
for the 3D printer to turn out yet another 'close, but no cigar' print
that needs re-editing. Or while reading the news^H^H^H^H propaganda, or
Usenet, or getting email in.

All I can say is, thank Clapton Linux has a really good memory manager.

$ free -m
          	     total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available
Mem:          23909        7385       931        1044       15592
15090
Swap:          2047           0   	     2047

I can't control 3rd party apps, but I can control my machine's memory.

Up till buying a 3D printer 8GB was more than enough, but the constant
use of  windows based 3D and 2D CAD  programs plus the slicer and
firefoxes latest bloatery has taken it over the edge

--
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
wrong.

H.L.Mencken