Article <v15eqb$17unh$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v15eqb$17unh$4@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Can D simulated by H terminate normally?
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 08:56:27 -0500
 <v0lh24$123q3$1@dont-email.me> <v0lic7$2g492$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v0lkas$12q0o$3@dont-email.me> <v0loq2$2g493$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v0lq7d$14579$2@dont-email.me> <v0ls98$2g492$7@i2pn2.org>
 <v0m29q$166o1$1@dont-email.me> <v0m37e$2gl1e$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v0m3v5$16k3h$1@dont-email.me> <v0m55t$2gl1f$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v0m5sn$172p4$1@dont-email.me> <v0oban$1o3b$1@news.muc.de>
 <v0oce3$1q3aq$4@dont-email.me> <v0oe1b$1o3b$2@news.muc.de>
 <v0ofl3$1r1mf$1@dont-email.me> <v0oh7g$1o3b$3@news.muc.de>
 <v0olhv$1sgeo$1@dont-email.me> <v0oobd$1o3b$4@news.muc.de>
 <v0or07$1tmga$1@dont-email.me> <v0qb59$2bsfc$1@dont-email.me>
 <v0r242$2hb7o$1@dont-email.me> <v0r3kh$hka$1@news.muc.de>
 <v0r5f2$2hb7o$11@dont-email.me> <v0rsbv$2m1nf$8@i2pn2.org>
 <v0sgcm$2varu$3@dont-email.me> <v0vmvu$209h$3@news.muc.de>
 <v10md7$ese$1@dont-email.me> <v12b14$fbko$1@dont-email.me>
 <v12jb4$hc81$1@dont-email.me> <v1507m$1549l$1@dont-email.me>

On 5/4/2024 4:47 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-05-03 11:55:15 +0000, olcott said:

>>> Simple recursive simulation is not a non-halting behaviour
>>> if the recursion is not infinite.
>>
>> In other words the only way that we can tell that an infinite
>> loop never halts is to simulate it until the end of time?
>
> The phrase "in other words" is not correct here as it means that
> what follows means the same as what precedes, and that is not
> true here.
>
> For same loops the only wha to detect non-termination may be
> to simulate to infinity but they can be considered exluded by
> the term "simple" in (a).
>
>> There are repeating state non-halting behavior patterns
>> that can be recognized. These are three more functions
>> where H derives the correct halt status:
>>
>> void Infinite_Recursion(u32 N)
>> {
>>    Infinite_Recursion(N);
>> }
>
> Per (b) that is non-halting and indeed it is (though the
> execution may crash for "out of memeory").

It is not actually infinite though because H recognizes the non-halting
behavior pattern, aborts the simulation and reports non-halting.

It is the exact same thing with D simulated by H on the basis
of the directly executed H(D,D).

>> void Infinite_Loop()
>> {
>>    HERE: goto HERE;
>> }
>
> Per (a) that is non-halting and indeed it is.

It is not actually infinite though because H recognizes the non-halting
behavior pattern, aborts the simulation and reports non-halting.

It is the exact same thing with D simulated by H on the basis
of the directly executed H(D,D).

>> int factorial(int n)
>> {
>>    if (n >= 1)
>>      return n*factorial(n-1);
>>    else
>>      return 1;
>> }
>
> Per (c) that is non-halting but in reality it is not.
> Ergo, the rule (c) is wrong.

That was an example of an input that H correctly determines
does halt.