Article <v15qd2$1acm1$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v15qd2$1acm1$1@dont-email.me>

From: Nyssa <Nyssa@LogicalInsight.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Weigel METV news
Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 13:14:53 -0400

Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> On 5/4/2024 6:38 AM, Nyssa wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>
>>> Everything about this deal tells you why perpetual
>>> copyright serves the interest of copyright holders only,
>>> the public be damned. The big studios shut down short
>>> subject animation seven and a half decades ago, yet it's
>>> all still under copyright.
>>>
>>> There is a statement that these short subject animation
>>> libraries are all owned by Warner Brothers Discovery,
>>> with the exception of what Disney owns.
>>>
>>> Weigel Broadcasting will set up a cartoon network, METV
>>> Toons, effective June 25. Will they maintain the
>>> original aspect ratio? Will the image be shrunk down
>>> even if they do?
>>>
>>> Will they censor?
>>>
>>> Bob Bergen, a voice actor who has provided voices in
>>> modern versions of WB cartoons, will host. The article
>>> doesn't say what the broadcast subchannel will be or
>>> what programming it replaces.
>>>
>>> https://chicago.suntimes.com/movies-and-tv/2024/05/02/metv-toons-
>> cartoon-channel-weigel-warner-bros-discovery-chicago
>>
>> I'm wondering why none of these nostalgia subchannels
>> have glommed onto the old live-action short subjects
>> that were included in the movie-going experience along
>> with the animated cartoons and main feature films.
>>
>> Besides the obvious Three Stooges shots, there are a
>> number of other series of shorts featuring comedy actors
>> of the 30s and 40s that would be something new (and
>> funny) for audiences to watch. At usually ~15-20 minutes
>> each, that would leave the network plenty of space to
>> add in commercials.
>>
>> I remember these being shown from in the 50s and 60s on
>> local TV stations, usually in the afternoons (after
>> school hours) or weekends as fillers.
>>
>> Nyssa, who wouldn't mind seeing some of the oldies but
>> goodies again since they don't even seem to appear on
>> bargain bin DVDs
>>
> Massively politically incorrect by modern standards comedy
> shorts....

But that's part of the charm along with the odd clothing
(men wearing *hats* that aren't baseball caps!) and
blatant misogyny.

And they still are funny. Much funnier than today's
"comedians" who think throwing in f-bombs every other
sentence makes them funnier somehow. :/

Nyssa, who remembers the names Hugh Herbert and Vera
Vague as two of the actors featured in various series
of shorts, along with Shemp Howard before he joined
the Stooges