Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v17s0q$1r364$2@dont-email.me>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: My 138 $ Amazon order ( for 6pm today ).
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 07:53:59 -0400
 <v0tppf$38keu$1@dont-email.me> <99253jp12e1cppj2940cpkpl0cbg1og25i@4ax.com>
 <v0u7ap$3bjck$1@dont-email.me> <r3d53j9ue89cpgk2nako6u1h559r6vch70@4ax.com>
 <8ce53j11p4ik1vvjt4tr5cod0ikd90jor8@4ax.com>
 <l9gd08FgusrU9@mid.individual.net>
 <mq683j18drilne63ug4g6584bl2q99v8a3@4ax.com>
 <6634d31c$0$6437$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <8dea3jhm6dedgknid0qovts7r07a1isb32@4ax.com>
 <663562e9$0$2422126$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <7rcc3jhrccvcea5fe59c2bfrg1sifv1va4@4ax.com>

On 2024-05-04 12:27 p.m., chrisv wrote:
> Andrzej Matuch wrote:
>
>> chrisv wrote:

>>> For the home version, and there's work-arounds for that, for the
>>> motivated.
>>
>> The mere fact that you need to jump through hoops to do something which
>> should be a direct option is disgusting.
>
> Well, they're not called Evilsoft for nothin'.

Yep. I watched a few YouTube videos talking about what happened when
companies wanted Windows 3.1 to become a de facto ISO standard.
Microsoft really went out of their way to prevent the competition's
software from working. It's rather disgusting.

>> Some of us have a Pro license
>> but, when we install, we do so by downloading the latest ISO from their
>> web site so that we won't have to spend a few hours doing updates. That
>> only affords us the option of installing the Home version; upgrades
>> happen after the system has already been installed. As a result, you
>> indeed have to log in.
>
> If you have a Pro license, you should have a Pro ISO, no?  In that
> case, I would use that and endure the hours of updates.

The USB thumb drive I got with the Pro license is 10 Pro. Effectively, I
would have to install 10 Pro first and then upgrade to 11. More hoop
jumping. Perhaps it is possible to get a Pro ISO and prevent myself the
headaches, but even when you use the MediaCreationTool to download the
appropriate ISO for the license you have on your system, it uses the
Home one.

> My most recent experience is, admittedly, dated.  A year ago on my
> daughter's new PC.  We started with a Win10 Pro install (I had a legal
> license from work that was collecting dust) and then used Micro$oft's
> Win11 update tool.  It did take a while, but we got what we wanted -
> no M$ account and legal.

I can do it that way too and it does work rather well to prevent me from
logging into my Microsoft account. However, you end up spending hours
dong updates.

--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch