Article <v17vm9$1s1vi$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v17vm9$1s1vi$1@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Threads across programming languages
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 14:56:40 +0200
 <v0ogum$1rc5n$1@dont-email.me> <v0ovvl$1ur12$4@dont-email.me>
 <v0p06i$1uq6q$5@dont-email.me>
 <v0shti$2vrco$2@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>
 <v0spsh$31ds4$3@dont-email.me>
 <v0stic$325kv$3@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>
 <v0svtn$32o8h$1@dont-email.me>
 <v0t091$32qj6$1@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>
 <v0u90h$3c1r5$4@dont-email.me> <v0v7rf$3lu04$1@dont-email.me>
 <v0v8u3$3m7rm$1@dont-email.me> <v10t0v$20cs$1@dont-email.me>
 <v116q4$4at1$1@dont-email.me> <v119bu$4pfa$1@dont-email.me>
 <v127i4$ej9d$1@dont-email.me> <20240503180533.000017ff@yahoo.com>
 <v12vb0$ju1r$2@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>
 <20240503184754.00006997@yahoo.com> <v13rto$q5b4$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240504220437.00002b91@yahoo.com>

On 04/05/2024 21:04, Michael S wrote:
> On Sat, 4 May 2024 00:27:53 +0100
> bart <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/05/2024 16:47, Michael S wrote:

>>> 64 times faster than slow wouldn't be fast, but could be acceptable.
>>> And 64 HW threads nowadays is almost low-end server, I have one at
>>> work, just in case.
>>> Also, I don't see why in the future Python could not be JITted.
>>> Javascript was also considered slow 15-20 years ago, now it's pretty
>>> fast.
>>> But then, my knowledge of Python is very shallow, Possibly, it's not
>>> JITted yet because of fundamental reasons rather than due to lack of
>>> demand.
>>>

>> PyPy has been around for many years.
>
> I see.
> So, why PyPy didn't replace interpreter as a default engine?

There are different Python implementations, useful for different
situations.  JIT is helpful if you need high performance running code
and are happy to pay the time and memory resources (often very large)
for doing the compilation.  But often you don't need high performance,
at least not from the Python code itself, and JIT is just a waste.