Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v18avj$1uiv4$1@dont-email.me>

From: Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: GPIB bus topology
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 09:09:22 -0700

On 5/5/2024 4:26 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
> On 5/05/2024 4:03 am, Don Y wrote:

>>>  >
>>>
>>> Have gpib based test gear all around the lab, beyond the limit
>>> of cables, which are clunky and heavy anyway.
>>
>> They're also mechanically stressful for the devices to which
>> they attach; move a device with cable still attached and you
>> put lots of stress on the connectors, etc.
>>
>>> Solution here was
>>> the Prologix lan to hpib adapter, which puts the test gear on
>>> the local subnet, where it belongs.
>>
>> I designed a GPIB-RS232 adapter many years (decades) ago.  (I
>> had been given a bunch of engineering samples of an MCU with a
>> fair bit of EPROM and RAM on-board in the mid 80's... when such
>> things were unusual and went looking for an application that
>> would be small enough to fit in them)
>>
>> No "smarts", just a media converter, of sorts.  I now marry those
>> to one-port terminal servers so I can TELNET to the device.
>>
>>> Have written an os package
>>
>> That's far more ambitious.  I resort to looking up the specific
>> commands/protocols for the device of interest and just writing
>> a script, on the fly -- mainly, to save myself the hassle of
>> having to keep re-typing the same command strings, repeatedly.
>> Being able to embed comments in the scripts helps me remember
>> what they are trying to do, for which device and where I found
>> the original information (manual X, page Y) used for the script.
>> (I use these things so infrequently that I need a mechanism
>> to job my memory)
>>
>>> to drive it, so that at top level, it's all shell scripts, and
>>> Can be built and controlled by any unix with gcc and a shell,
>>> even cygwin on  windows.
>>
>> I am mainly concerned with setting controls on devices (e.g.,
>> set power supply output #3 to 12.3VDC with a current limit of
>> 250mA; set DSO to 1V, 1us; etc.) and retrieving one-shot data
>> (to import into documents).  So, I don't need instruments to be
>> able to talk to each other (which would be tedious in my approach)
>>
>>> Prologix used to be quite low cost, but they have raised the
>>> price considerably since, which is a pain, but still lower than
>>> the lan / hpib adapters from HP or NI...
>>
>> A modern implementation would find the cost of the connector to be
>> the single priciest item; you can get an MCU with onboard NIC,
>> RAM, ROM, etc. so could likely fit everything *in* the connector shell
>> The MCUs that I used in the serial bridge were in PLCC84(?) packages
>> and, by the time you added XTAL, power conditioning, RS232 level
>> translators, connectors, etc. it was a large package
>>
>> I would be surprised if there isn't an existing "open hardware/software"
>> project to make such a device using OTS "modules".
>
> As I already posted, there is an open source project called AR488 which uses an
> Arduino to convert USB to/from GPIB. google AR488

As I said, "I would be surprised if there isn't...".  It's a trivial hardware
and software problem.

> There is a board which you can get made at OSHpark cheaply which adapts the
> arduino pinout to the connector.

What I don't understand is why someone would go to the trouble to make
a daughter card and NOT just add the rest of the necessary components
TO that card and package the whole thing better/smaller!

OTOH, learning how to miniaturize entire products is a skill that takes
time to learn.  And, anticipating each potential future "shoe-horning"
activity is a challenge (I have a design that fits in WoW characters
but won't fit in Furbys, to my chagrin!)

> There are relatively cheap connectors without the jack screws and
> daisy-chaining capability that you can use because you do not require the
> ability to daisy chain other cables onto the back of your USB adapter.

I just used an IDC-terminated connector as my PCB was largeish (old
technology) and didn't want it supported by the instrument's connector.
And, as I said, have tossed the GPIB cables opting for an adapter
per device (I suspect most folks don't really need the ability for
devices to talk to each *other*)

> One shortcoming it has is that it will draw current from the GPIB bus if the
> USB cable is not powered, but it is easy to avoid doing that.

I would eschew anything USB-related; it often requires drivers
and places limits on where the USB host can be located.  E.g.,
I can talk to my adapter from an old SPARCstation, NeXT cube,
cell phone, etc. instead of having to add USB capabilities (and
cable) to each.