Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v18bri$1urbh$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-04 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 09:23:17 -0700

On 5/5/2024 8:16 AM, john wrote:
> In article <UBI20240505@dont-email.me>, weberm@polaris.net wrote:
>
>> On Star Wars Day, I watched:
>>
>> MAY THE 4TH BE... AHH WHO CARES ANYMORE | Film Threat Rants
>> https://youtu.be/eRRMYD2fHyE?si=tUtT58mWJvg6ag2T
>
> "May the 4th" is now just another day that corporations use for
> marketing. It's become so corny and cringe.

In 2022 I got to go to Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim and the Star
Wars Night at Disneyland.  It may be corporate but it was loads of fun.
I went to my first Star Was Celebration in 2015 where they debuted a
trailer for the Force Awakens then brought the real BB-8 robot out on
stage which at that point everyone assumed was CGI until a working robot
rolled out on stage.  You just can't top that.  Even from the nose bleed
seats where I was sitting it was pure joy.

I watched:

Beneath the Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1970 sequel which mostly rips
off the plot of the first movie but quickly changes the setting to show
mutant humans who worship a bomb before destroying the planet ensuring
there could never be a sequel.  The movie was shockingly bloody at the
end with all the blood splatter and head shots.

Escape from the Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1971 sequel which wasn't
going to let the entire planet blowing up get in the way of making
another one.  Turns out that just before the planet went boom, three
apes, with no advanced tools or knowledge, fished a crashed spaceship
from the bottom of a lake, rebuilt built it, fueled it, and successfully
launched it into orbit. Sure these apes didn't even have a concept of
flight, but rebuilding and flying a spaceship was no problem.  It's a
good thing I like this movie a lot or I might be annoyed.

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1972 sequel and my favorite
of the original Apes movies.  Roddy McDowall stars as his own son who
leads a bloody revolution to take down humanity.  This was the much
superior uncut version.  I don't know why they even put the theatrical
cut on the disc.  No one wants to watch the theatrical cut when the
uncut version is an option!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zHqjDjdLA

Battle for the Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 1973 sequel.  What can I say
about this one?  It exists and it was included in the box. And it made
for good background noise while I straightened up.

Planet of the Apes (blu-ray) 2001 reboot of the franchise directed by
Tim Burton.  This time a technologically advanced human lands on a
planet of talking Apes and it's conclusively not Earth.  It was about 10
years since I last watched the original Apes movies, but at the time I
skipped this one, so it was even longer since I last watched this
reboot.  I actually really like it.  I love the make up design and the
acting from the Apes actors.  Overall Mark Wahlberg not withstanding,
it's a pretty solid movie.  Unfortunately I got sucked into the Tim
Burton commentary track and the movie became background noise.  Although
I was very annoyed with Tim Burton's unapologetic stance at the ending
which makes *no* sense!  He even sort of acknowledges the ending made no
sense, but his attitude was that's how he *wanted* to end the movie, and
also set up potential sequels so someone else could explain it away
however they wanted in a sequel.