Article <v18crf$5asr$1@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v18crf$5asr$1@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: D simulated by H never halts no matter what H does V3 ---
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 12:41:19 -0400
 <v107il$3t543$1@dont-email.me> <v128nt$erc9$1@dont-email.me>
 <v12ic3$h1tj$1@dont-email.me> <v13mk5$30j8v$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v149ir$10h7m$1@dont-email.me> <v1549m$2783$1@news.muc.de>
 <v15fc9$17unh$6@dont-email.me> <v15hat$94v$1@news.muc.de>
 <v15hsc$17unh$8@dont-email.me> <v15lk0$1qp4$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v15nta$19ip0$1@dont-email.me> <v15qg3$1qp4$6@i2pn2.org>
 <v15vqo$1bfmh$1@dont-email.me> <v166fj$2oq7$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v168mo$1df60$1@dont-email.me> <v16a6g$2oq7$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v16blg$1e52t$1@dont-email.me> <v16d93$2oq8$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v16eon$1eq05$1@dont-email.me> <v16gir$2oq8$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v16hln$1f7fm$1@dont-email.me> <v16ikg$2oq7$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v16jd1$1fk82$1@dont-email.me> <v16kou$2oq8$3@i2pn2.org>
 <v16l3c$1ftgf$1@dont-email.me> <v16m1a$2oq8$4@i2pn2.org>
 <v16nfc$1gasi$1@dont-email.me> <v16s30$2oq7$4@i2pn2.org>
 <v16tp4$1l8ug$1@dont-email.me> <v17ng9$1qb0a$2@dont-email.me>
 <v1855s$1t4hn$3@dont-email.me>

On 5/5/24 10:30 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/5/2024 5:36 AM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>> Those N steps were simulated correctly, but the fact that it stops
>> after N steps make it an incorrect simulation.
>
> In other words a decider is wrong unless it never
> stops simulating an non-halting input?

No, the decider is wrong if it gives the wrong answer.

Now, if to determine the correct answer requires simulating more, then
it needs to simulate more.

If to determine the correct answer requires simulating to the end, it
needs to simulate to the end, even if that takes forever.

If it needs to simulate forever, but also needs to answer in finite
time, then the method has just been shown not to meet the requirements.