Article <v1c3so$3195m$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1c3so$3195m$1@dont-email.me>

From: BGB <cr88192@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Byte Addressability And Beyond
Date: Mon, 6 May 2024 21:32:53 -0500
 <2024May3.171330@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> <v13olm$p9ih$9@dont-email.me>
 <2024May4.111127@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
 <AnsZN.60734$gF_b.49289@fx17.iad> <v17dav$1o21q$2@dont-email.me>
 <YCNZN.77960$yf_8.61501@fx14.iad> <v18m0s$213qm$1@dont-email.me>
 <642cb7511c41a3931b06f747ea2161e4@www.novabbs.org>
 <v19d1t$2a6f8$1@dont-email.me> <v19gl2$2b44k$1@dont-email.me>
 <e10bcaa4cbad7113a2e630a236039c59@www.novabbs.org>
 <v1bigv$2q19c$1@dont-email.me>
 <0c13eeb8c7766f2900ee2f55f788a366@www.novabbs.org>

On 5/6/2024 7:53 PM, MitchAlsup1 wrote:
> BGB wrote:

>>> It is also an IEEE 754-2008+ requirement.
>
>> And... I have a version that just sort of works well enough to make
>> RV64G work, but is sort of a fail on the other fronts:
>>    Using it is slower than separate ops;
>>    It produces a double-rounded result.
>>    Also, well, the FMUL isn't super accurate either.
>
> So, it fails IEEE 754-accuracy requirements.
>
>> FMUL is implemented in a way where it only generates the high-half of
>> the multiply, which makes the FPU cheaper, but:
>>    Does not give strict 0.5ULP rounding.
>
> Also failing EEE 754-accuracy requirements.

Yes, but then again, I make no claim that it is IEEE-754 conformant,
merely that it uses the same formats, and is "good enough" for most
stuff one needs an FPU for.

>> Some combination of factors leads to the inability of Newton-Raphson
>> to fully converge, possibly either due to omitting the low-order
>> multiplier results, or the carry-propagation limitation for rounding
>> (if the rounding would result in more than 8 bits of carry, it is
>> skipped).
>
> Newton-Raphson is dependent on getting the bits right so that its
> interpolation (between iterations) converges properly.

Yeah, it gets "most of the way" and then usually gets stuck at the last
4 bits or so.

For most uses though, this is OK, as one has the other 48 bits which are
still generally correct.

>> Not likely to do proper FMA, as this would make a Binary64 FPU too
>> expensive (and, doing Binary64 poorly is still preferable for most
>> uses to not doing it at all).
>
> And yet, every other non FPGA implementation achieves those requirements.
>
> It really seams that your medium is influencing your architecture,
> rather than the other way around.

Possibly.

Many other FPGA based soft-core processors either lack an FPU, implement
single-precision only (such as MicroBlaze), or make similar compromises.

One of the exceptions here is SWeRV (RV32GC), but it also eats a
considerable number of LUTs and runs at a fairly low clock speed, though
unclear how much of this is due to the FPU, or to other factors.

>> Granted, not entirely sure how the 8087 managed to do all the stuff
>> that it did. Since, it seems like an 80s ASIC would be more cramped
>> than a modern Artix-7.
>
> Mostly it was simply slow.

Hmm...

A slow FPU is much less useful for most things than an inaccurate FPU.

OTOH, probably couldn't exactly do floating point in software all that
quickly on an 8088 or 8086. I guess that mostly just leaves fixed point
and similar.