Article <v1d5js$37vta$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1d5js$37vta$1@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows victims: go ahead and pretend you don't want or need
 the greatest PC software available
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 08:08:28 -0400

vallor wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Sun, 5 May 2024 22:54:19 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
> <6638465a$0$8092$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>:
>
>> https://imgur.com/a/R0ARmN0
>>
>> ALL the Linux "equivalents" are pure junk compared to this masterful
>> Windows application.
>>
>> It's proprietary but free of cost for personal use.
>>
>> Along with other apps, the creator has worked on it since 1999.  ONE
>> competent, dedicated Windows developer puts to shame the entire universe
>> of FOSS crapware developers that have tried to do what this guy does.
>>
>> Linux has a command (with the same name) that outputs TONS of info, but
>> it's basically unreadable.  The output is made for... I don't know who
>> the intended audience is, but it's not regular users.
>>
>> This app is yet more PROOF that in a world where Windows exists, there's
>> no reason to run Linux on your desktop.

It doesn't prove squat, GUI-boi.

>> Enjoy!
>
> I wrote a detailed response to this last night, then realized you
> weren't interested in an answer -- you were just emulating a
> "Feeb screed", for which I commend you for matching his tone,
> if not his vigor.

Face it, DFS confuses a nice, if overly-busy GUI, with actual base
functionality.

That is, if his GUI doesn't show it, he'll never know it.

Whereas hwinfo output can be run through a filter.

Also, it looks like hwinfo reads the files in /proc.

--
You will remember something that you should not have forgotten.