Article <v1do3i$3cjmj$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1do3i$3cjmj$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Stephen Fuld" <SFuld@alumni.cmu.edu.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: why bits, Byte Addressability And Beyond
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 17:24:02 -0000 (UTC)

Michael S wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2024 06:35:53 -0000 (UTC)
> "Stephen Fuld" <SFuld@alumni.cmu.edu.invalid> wrote:
>
> > MitchAlsup1 wrote:

> > > Which is no different than ECC, BTW...
> > >
> > > Could someone invent a bit field ISA that was as efficient as a
> > > byte accessible architecture:: probably.
> > >
> > > Could this bit accessible architecture outperform a byte ISA on
> > > typical codes:: doubtful. Two reasons:: 1) more delay in the LD/ST
> > > pipeline, 2) most programs use as little bit-fielding as possible
> > > (not as much as practical) !!!
> >

> > Some time ago, I proposed an additional instruction, a load varient
> > that allowed you to address bit fields.  Would it be slower than a
> > "normal" byte oriented load?  Almost certainly.  But would it be
> > faster than doing all the shifts, masks, word crossing calculations,
> > etc. via extra instructions?  Again, almost certainly.  So you keep
> > the benefits of byte oriented loads most of the time, but have
> > "reasonable" access to bit fields when you need them, faster than
> > without the extrainstructions.  Hopefully the best of both worlds.
> >

> When you load bit field from memory, there is very high chance that
> you would want adjacent bit field soon thereafter.

Yes. There are two aspects of this, setting the displacement of the
next field, and the time it takes to access that field.  For the first,
my proposal took advantage of the MY 66000's capability of instruction
modifiers to (optionally) add the length of the loaded bit field to the
register that contains the bit displacement.  So the addressing is
already set up for a subsequent looad bit field instruction to load the
adjacent bit field.  For the time to access that field, it depends.
For a low end implementation, the target data for the subsequent load
would already be in the L1 cash, so not too bad.  Higher end
implementations could take advantage of the MY 66000's streaming
buffers such that the data would already be "close" to the ALU.  As I
have often said, IANAHG, so I may have the details wrong.

> Think about it.

Thanks, I have.  :-)

--
 - Stephen Fuld