Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1g0of$5o1$2@dont-email.me>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: cpu-x
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 10:03:59 -0400

On 2024-05-08 9:30 a.m., chrisv wrote:
> Andrzej Matuch wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>
>>> CPU-Z is only freeware, CPU-X is Free Software.
>>
>> For an end user, there is no difference. Only developers would see the
>> latter as having an advantage.
>
> Being FOSS is a bonus.  It's better.  It allows branching and
> modifications that trickle down to end users.
>
> It may be that most end users don't care if software is FOSS, but we
> can't forget that, were it not for the FOSS model, a lot of software
> would not even exist!

Agreed. I appreciated, for instance, that Thunderbird's FOSS nature
allowed for someone else to pick up the project and offer us an
alternative which doesn't require us to support Mozilla in any way.
However, most people aren't even aware of what open-source even is.

--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch