Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1h1m3$82li$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Atomic nucleus excited with laser: a breakthrough
 after decades
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 23:25:55 -0000 (UTC)

John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2024 14:45:42 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Which puts them in the RF frequency domain where counting cycles of the
>>> continuous sine reference waveform is relatively easy.
>>>
>>> Likewise for H-maser another favourite local time reference signal.

>>> Although there will be some big practical difficulties counting cycles
>>> of a waveform at 8eV which is up into the UV. What is the current
>>> highest frequency that a semiconductor divider is capable of accepting?
>>>
>>> I know that there are some optical logic circuits about but how capable
>>> are they at near UV light?
>>>
>>> You can't mix this thing down without losing its fidelity. I know how to
>>> double optical frequencies but how do you halve or quarter them?
>>>

>> You mix with an optical frequency comb, possibly with an intermediate
>> locking step.
>>
>> The cleverest part of the Hall-Haensch comb generator is that you can lock
>> the blue end of the comb to the second harmonic of the red end, one tooth
>> off, and lock the difference to a good reference. Then all the teeth have
>> the same phase noise as the reference oscillator, rather than 20 log(600
>> THz /  100 MHz) ~ 138 dB worse, as it would be in a multiplier.
>>
>> That 0.002 Hz line width is going to make the locker design entertaining.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> Is there any way to divide a lightwave down into the electronic
> frequency domain?
>
> Rubidium clocks use an indirect way that doesn't actually divide.

Not really. There are optical parametric oscillators, but their phase noise
is horrible by comparison. A 1-cm-long crystal produces a nice tunable
output, but its line width will be c/1cm wide.

Degenerate OPOs exist, whose signal and idler are at the same frequency,
but I believe their phase noise is not that different—there’s an additional
degree of freedom in the signal/idler relationship that would have to be
constrained somehow.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics