Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1h27n$85q5$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Atomic nucleus excited with laser: a breakthrough
 after decades
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 23:35:19 -0000 (UTC)

Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2024 14:45:42 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> The cleverest part of the Hall-Haensch comb generator is that you can lock
>> the blue end of the comb to the second harmonic of the red end, one tooth
>> off, and lock the difference to a good reference. Then all the teeth have
>> the same phase noise as the reference oscillator, rather than 20 log(600
>> THz /  100 MHz) ~ 138 dB worse, as it would be in a multiplier.
>
> Hmm.  It had to be true, but I never connected the dots there.  What
> is mechanism by which this is achieved?  References?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe Gwinn

Don’t have the reference handy, but the basic idea is to use a modelocked
system Ti:sapphire laser at 750 nm to generate ~100-fs pulses, then use
fiber/grating pulse compression to bring that down to a few femtoseconds,
followed by a holey fiber to broaden the spectrum to more than an octave.

Jan Hall is one of the best instruments guys ever.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics