Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1ilmv.9ek.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

From: Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google 2SV without mobile number
Date: 9 May 2024 12:14:01 GMT

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> > Chris wrote:

> >> How is this news?
> >
> > I only posted it because there are people who have complained it wasn't
> > possible to access gmail with oauth, or app specific passwords without
> > registering a verifiable phone number ...
>
> Using a third party app for reading gmail does require 2SV/MFA, but no idea
> why people felt that a phone number was needed. It is an option, but not
> the only one.

  As Andy indicated: If you want/need to use App Passwords. That
requires to switch on 2SV, but maybe you don't want to use SMS (hence
phone number) for 2SV and don't want to or can't use 'Google prompts' or
'Security Key'. In that case, you were stuck, but now you can proceed
and for example select authenticator apps or even Backup Codes.

  Andy also mentioned needing 2SV/MFA for Gmail with oauth, but as I
have no experience with that, I won't comment on it.