Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1ji20$t2ec$12@dont-email.me>

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows victims: go ahead and pretend you don't want or need the
 greatest PC software available
Date: Thu, 9 May 2024 22:17:36 -0000 (UTC)

On 09 May 2024 12:01:14 GMT, Andrzej Matuch wrote:

> On Thu, 09 May 2024 06:47:55 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 8 May 2024 08:27:04 -0400, Andrzej Matuch wrote:
>>
>>> I think the most common complaint of people using Linux CLI or GUI
>>> tools is that they look dated.
>>
>> Are they taking Microsoft, of all people, as arbiters of good taste?
>
> There are definitely more people out there who are fans of the Microsoft
> aesthetics than there are people who appreciate the dated interfaces of
> open-source software. All of them will admit that the "ugly" software
> still does the job, but it appears that the way a program looks is as
> important as whether it completes the task.

Are these the same people who think the Microsoft Office “Ribbon” is a
good idea? Remember, that originated in the days before modern widescreen
monitors became popular. Given that most text documents we create are
still in portrait orientation, the LibreOffice “Sidebar” makes better use
of screen space.