Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1jn1a$smg8$1@dont-email.me>

From: vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Responsive projects (was: Re: My 138 $ Amazon order ( for 6pm today
 ).)
Date: Thu, 9 May 2024 23:42:34 -0000 (UTC)
	<l2p23jphsoanasffl34bedtf6ngerbmt3p@4ax.com> <v0tppf$38keu$1@dont-email.me>
	<99253jp12e1cppj2940cpkpl0cbg1og25i@4ax.com> <v0u7ap$3bjck$1@dont-email.me>
	<r3d53j9ue89cpgk2nako6u1h559r6vch70@4ax.com>
	<8ce53j11p4ik1vvjt4tr5cod0ikd90jor8@4ax.com>
	<l9gd08FgusrU9@mid.individual.net>
	<mq683j18drilne63ug4g6584bl2q99v8a3@4ax.com>
	<6634d31c$0$6437$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<663b88b0$2$1258325$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<v1g6i3$hhp$2@dont-email.me> <663ba28b$0$7059$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<la2bagF8fn1U4@mid.individual.net>
	<663c0d1b$0$8104$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<la3226Fbn7iU4@mid.individual.net>
	<663cba2b$2$7163$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com> <v1ir6d$o14n$1@dont-email.me>

On Thu, 9 May 2024 11:47:23 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
wrote in <v1ir6d$o14n$1@dont-email.me>:

> Andrzej Matuch wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgie_(desktop_environment)
>>>
>>> Could you possibly find a more obscure/fucked up distro?
>>
>> For what it's worth, I appreciate that DFS is looking for minuscule
>> problems in Linux and pointing them out. You can't make anything better if
>> you're not going to be honest about its flaws. Unfortunately, even after
>> he points out the flaws and submits bug reports, the developers don't seem
>> to do anything to fix it.
>
> That's a project problem, not a platform problem.
>
> Microsoft itself seems to treat issue reports in a similar manner to bad
> projects. So often in a Microsoft help forum, you'll get non-answers or no
> answers, with user's getting plaintive about the lack of help.
>
> Other companies act the same, all too often.
>
> I wouldn't ding small open-source team for being slow in responding to bugs, as
> they may have other more important things on their plate.
>
> I will note one responsive project: Meson, on GitHub. Meson was using a file
> called "meson_options.txt" to hold default values for project options. I wrote
> up an issue about it (as had others earlier, apparently), and I noted that
> the "txt" extension is too generic, and that I edited my /etc/DIR_COLORS file
> so that I could grok a directory listing faster. And in version 1.1 IIRC,
> voila, there was meson.options to supplement meson.build.

I posted an issue for gmime yesterday, and ended up in a dialogue
with the lead developer.

Pan users will note that I was bird-dogging a problem that has plagued
pan since they moved to gmime for handling headers -- currently,
Newsgroups: lines don't wrap properly, and get MIME-encoded
if they are too long.  News servers choke on that.  (My C is too rusty
to fix it easily, but I can see where the fix should go.)

--
-v