Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1k98h$15qp5$2@dont-email.me>

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Find "py.exe" & copy it to "Python" (flat, no extension).
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 04:53:37 -0000 (UTC)

On 10 May 2024 03:25:59 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> On Thu, 9 May 2024 22:13:05 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 May 2024 14:46:10 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>
>>> "we have about 600+ 2012 R2 servers in our environment and they have
>>> never let us down"
>>
>> Really?? Are the newer versions not as good?
>
> 2016, 2019, and 2022 are arguably better versions but you underestimate
> the reluctance of enterprises to update working systems.

That’s amusing, because I keep hearing from Microsoft users how legendary
Microsoft is at maintaining backward compatibility, so older stuff just
“keeps working”. Clearly that is not the case.

Also note that newer versions of on-prem Windows Server are no longer
keeping up feature-wise with the cloud version. Microsoft clearly wants to
push its customers to the latter.

> It's back to the argument of 'What I have now is dependable and meets my
> requirements. Why would I spend a lot of money on something that isn't
> going to improve my life?"

There is the ongoing maintenance costs, and increasing difficulty in
keeping obsolete systems going. A.k.a. “technical debt”.

> Or in the folksier idiom 'If it ain't broke don't fuck with it.'

Actually “don’t fix it” makes more sense. The flipside is, when it does
break, you discover, too late, you have no idea how to fix it.

> In a completely different context the last B-52 was built in 1962. The
> USAF thinks they may retire them in 2050 if they can manage to build a
> suitable replacement. A lot of the real world has zero interest in the
> latest greatest.

That one I think is fine, because the B-52 is basically just an airframe.
It’s quite possible to keep upgrading the electronics inside, particularly
if the newer stuff takes up less space than the older stuff.