Article <v1l5bv$1c0uj$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1l5bv$1c0uj$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Fred. Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Every D(D) simulated by H presents non-halting behavior to H ...
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 14:53:18 +0200

Op 08.mei.2024 om 21:16 schreef olcott:

> *I can get to that point only after you agree with this point*
> *I can get to that point only after you agree with this point*
> *I can get to that point only after you agree with this point*
>
> 00 int H(ptr x, ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
> 01 int D(ptr x)
> 02 {
> 03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
> 04   if (Halt_Status)
> 05     HERE: goto HERE;
> 06   return Halt_Status;
> 07 }
> 08
> 09 int main()
> 10 {
> 11   H(D,D);
> 12 }
>
> Any H/D pair matching the above template where D(D) is simulated
> by the same H(D,D) that it calls cannot possibly reach past its own
> line 03. Simple software engineering verified fact.
>
> We also must mutually agree that whenever any executed H(D,D)
> stops simulating its input that no H ever returns any value to any
> simulated D.

Olcott is trying to stay at this point for several weeks now, but he
does not succeed. The reason probably is, that it is already a few steps
too far. First there must be agreement about the words and terms used in
what he says. So, we should delay this subject and go back a few steps.
Before we can talk about this, first there must be 100% agreement about:

1) What is a "verified fact"? Who needs to do the verification before it
can be said that it is a verified fact?
2) The definition of D is clear as a template. But are we discussing the
template, or are we discussing separate instantiations of D for
different H? The discussion shows that this point is not 100% clear.
3) What is the meaning of the word "simulated"? The discussion shows
that there is no 100% agreement about it.
4) What are the exact requirements for H? The discussion shows that it
is not 100% clear what olcott's ideas are for H. This may be divided in
a few sub-subjects:
4a) How does it determine that the simulation is recursive?
4b) What are the conditions to determine non-halting behaviour?
4c) Why does an aborted simulation indicate non-halting behaviour?

So, we should first get 100% agreement about each of these subjects,
before we can proceed to the above claim of olcott.

So, maybe olcott can start with 1: How do we agree that something is a
"verified fact".