Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1lgoa.1f8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

From: Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google 2SV without mobile number
Date: 10 May 2024 14:07:42 GMT

Andrew <andrew@spam.net> wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote on Thu, 9 May 2024 17:21:56 +0100 :
>
> >> That's what I'm saying. That isn't new. I've been using Authy for several
> >> years with gmail logins. I don't think I've ever used a mobile number for
> >> google.
> >
> > If authy only runs as a phone app, does that phone need an associated
> > mobile number?  Does authy need access to know it?
> >
> > Personally, I have no issue giving google a mobile number, but there is
> > on specific individual around these parts, who certainly did object and
> > as a consequence couldn't setup oauth, or an imap specific password.
>
> I'm confused by the information in the OP as I've recently (just last week)
> tried to set up a new Google account using just my normal ISP (no VPN) but
> Google insisted on a phone number and hence the account never got set up.
>
> In a normal home environment, and therefore not in a corporate managed
> computer, does this new information mean anyone at home can now start a new
> Google email account without needing to have a phone number on file?
>
> How?

  Andy's reference is about enabling 2SV in an existing Google Account,
not about creating a new account.

  Creating a new Google Account without a phone number has always been
possible, at least it still was on October 23 when I last tested this
(probably/possibly (also) for you).

  But it did require to specify a birthday.

  I specified a birthday, set Gender to "Rather don't say" and skipped
the recovery e-mail and the phone number. So the only info Google has is
a fake name and a fake birthday.