Article <v1lh59$1eir6$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1lh59$1eir6$1@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Not a request for help, but an explanation?
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 17:14:33 +0100

On 09/05/2024 22:27, Farley Flud wrote:
> On Thu, 9 May 2024 12:59:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>

>> But I am the ONLY user!
>>

> If you are the only user then why do you even bother with a login
> and password?

I used to have a wife...

> That's about as ridiculous as entering a password to your
> refrigerator just to grab a ham sandwich.

I  dont particularly relish some random person trying to get access. If
by some stretch of impossibleness they gain access through visible
servers on the internet.

It's just a habit, like locking the study before leaving the house even
with a burglar alarm.

Anyway, I assume you have no idea what the answer is but just feel like
a bit of low grade trolling?

> Oh well.  Distro lackeys have no choice.

*shrug*. Sure I have a choice. I have a root password to which is not
the distro default.

As I said, you remind me of the passage in 'fate is the hunter' where
the novice pilot is castigated for not maintaining altitude better than
50 ft. 'but there is nothing anywhere near'.

'But of you dont practice now when there is nothing near, HOW WILL YOU
DO IT WHEN THERE IS?

Something he remembers when letting down to 50' in full cloud above a
freezing North Atlantic trying to find Iceland, in wartime.

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

    - Leo Tolstoy