Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1lk84.drc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

From: Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google 2SV without mobile number
Date: 10 May 2024 15:07:22 GMT

Andrew <andrew@spam.net> wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote on 10 May 2024 14:07:42 GMT :
>
> >> In a normal home environment, and therefore not in a corporate managed
> >> computer, does this new information mean anyone at home can now start a new
> >> Google email account without needing to have a phone number on file?
> >>
> >> How?
> >
> >   Andy's reference is about enabling 2SV in an existing Google Account,
> > not about creating a new account.
>
> Oh. I missed that. Thank you.
> I'm allergic to 2SV/2FA as I feel it's an obvious invasion of privacy.

  You're of course free to (try to) prevent use of 2SV/2FA, but AFAIK,
authenticator 'apps' (programs) don't have any privacy issue. Perhaps
others can comment on that.

> Much appreciated the clarification as Andy always has good information
> (so I wanted to be clear that I understood what he was informing us of).
>
> >   Creating a new Google Account without a phone number has always been
> > possible, at least it still was on October 23 when I last tested this
> > (probably/possibly (also) for you).
>
> Everyone says that but I'm no technical slouch and it *always* asks for a
> second verification, whether a phone or an email, and I give it neither.

  Yes, it *asks*, but you can *skip* it.

> Hence, it refuses to set up the account. I'll try again later to screenshot
> it for the team such that my experience has been GMail always requires it.

  That would be nice. Perhaps things are different for this side of the
pond (Andy, Chris and I are in Europe). BTW, this is about setting up a
new Google Account, not about Gmail.

[...]