Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1lkp0$1fc47$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-09 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 17:16:16 -0000 (UTC)

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 5/10/2024 8:40 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>>Funny Girl (TCM) 1968 musical starring Barbra Stresand as a real life
>>>singer who rises to fame while falling in love with Omar Sharif.

>>While Fanny Brice could sing, she's best known as a comedienne, and on
>>radio variety programs (and eventually her own program) later in her
>>career as a sketch comic, especially the Baby Snooks character. In the
>>sequel movie Funny Lady (1975), they have one brief scene with her radio
>>program, which was ridiculous. She had an enormous nationwide audience
>>and that's what she was famous for. The sequel was disappointing but has
>>a few good songs in it. Barbra didn't want to do the sequel but she was
>>already contracted for it.

>I rented both movies from Netflix in 2008.  I really didn't remember
>them, but at the time I rated them 2 stars.

>>The "real life singer" is Barbra herself, given that the Broadway
>>production (developed by Brice's son-in-law) made Barbra a superstar.

>The TCM host mentioned some of this.  Apparently the studio didn't want
>Barbara but the director fought for her.

The son-in-law controlled the rights and got the final say. I think it
was the top-grossing movie of 1968, so maybe there was an audience for a
very ethnic-looking Jewish girl who could sing and really sell the
entertainment while she's performing. It's amazing how little studio
executives know about finding an audience.

>>. . .

>>So, who is playing Barbra, er, Fanny?

>Katerina McCrimmon is doing the US National Tour:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy8_xZ0Lj6g

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia6zsnnfsmc

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3O-HomMpE

I hope you have a nice time.