Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1o3a0$23l1s$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-10 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 11 May 2024 08:36:32 -0700

On Friday pay day(!), after getting some work done (but not enough!!), I
resolved to make yesterday a "movie day" when I got home, so I basically
did.

First, I put "Double Jeopardy" on Showtime on in the background. This is
a long-time guilty pleasure of mine, but I haven't see it in likely over
a decade. This time, I noticed that Keegan Connor Tracy has a bit part
in this (context: this film is set in Washington state and New Orleans,
but was primarily filmed in Vancouver!) - I didn't know Tracy has been
around that long!! Also, I had forgotten that Michelle Stafford (Y&R,
and one-time GH) almost had a film career, having a notable bit part in
this film too!
    In watching this, I realized there hasn't been a film like this in a
long-time, and Hollywood needs to put out another flick like this with a
plucky betrayed woman/wife on a mission of revenge! Righteous REVENGE!!
while being pursued by somebody like Tommy Lee Jones!!

Bloodshot (Hulu) - In glorious 4k!! (which is unusual to get on the Hulu!!)
    I think I remember seeing ads for this flick in 2020 (was this
during COVID?!), and thinking I wouldn't mind seeing an "action picture"
like this. But then I must have promptly forgotten about it!
    Apparently this is based on a comic series I have never heard of.
    This is YA Vin Diesel film that is partly financed/produced by the
Chi Comms - I am starting to find it disturbing how many Diesel films
have a Chi Comm tie-in (though this particular film sports no Chi Comm
main characters, interestingly enough...)
    Diesel stars as Ray Garrison, some kind of special forces marine(?).
After successfully rescuing a hostage in Kenya, he is attacked in the
home of his and his wife's (amusingly, I didn't even recognize that the
wife was played by Talulah Riley until I checked the film's
end-credits!! - distressingly, Riley has not worked since 2022 and
getting (re)married...  :(  ), where they are both held captive, and
then eventually both murdered(!).
    Ray wakes up after, with no gunshot wound to the head and no memory
of who he was, apparently brought back from the dead by a "mad
scientist" type (Guy Pearce - anyone taking bets as to whether Pearce's
character is EVOL!!1! or not?!) - the scientist has brought Ray back
from the dead via the use of "nanites" which give Ray pretty substantial
superpowers, like the ability to near instantaneously heal from almost
any wound.
    The scientist dude wants Ray to be part of a team of other soldiers
who have been technologically enhanced, among them Eiza Gonzalez
(sporting an impressive push-up bra that must involve some next-level
physics!!).
    But soon Ray remembers his wife murder at the hands of the scumbag,
and runs off on a mission of revenge, sweet revenge!!
    If that was all that was going on here, this flick would be pretty
flat. But luckily there's "twist", which makes this more interesting (if
not more believable!!) than the film's initial simplistic premise.
    This flick won't be winning any awards. But it was a perfect way to
scratch my "mindless Friday night action movie picture" itch. And it
looked pretty decent in 4k, and is well shot in several (action) scenes.

Deadly Invitations (Tubi) - This is the Tubi original film starring
Natalie Brown and Lola Flannery (from The HUNDRED! [sic]), and
apparently filmed in Vancouver, not Toronto, that was released in the
last couple of weeks.
    Out of all the Tubi original films I have seen, this was the most
like a straight-ahead Lifetime film - as other Tubi original films have
ended up on Lifetime, I am pretty sure this one will end up being shown
on Lifetime in 6 months to a year as well.
    Brown plays a recent widower - she is convinced that her husband's
death was not a suicide, but some kind of murder. Her daughter
(Flannery) is a teen brat, who blames her mother for her father's
suicide, and is some kind of social media "influencer", but one who has
had a recent scandal (I don't think we are ever told what this "scandal"
was!).
    Anyway, soon enough the daughter is getting mixed up in some kind of
weird (sex and drugs?!!) club, involving (Hollywood?) big-wigs who all
wear masks (for "anonymity"!?) at the club. This, of course, is the same
club the mother is convinced is somehow involved in the husband's "murder".
    Dangerous (and rapey?!) wackiness ensues.
    This was OK. Brown's character is incredibly unsymapthetic, as is
Flannery's (mostly). But I am glad to see that Flannery is still acting,
so there's that.
    But, like I said, this might as well have gone straight to Lifetime,
as there is nothing that particularly identifies this film as a "Tubi
original".

What did you watch?!