Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1o5dq$2496v$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: UN General Assembly backs Palestinian bid for membership
Date: Sun, 12 May 2024 02:12:25 +1000

On 11/05/2024 6:30 am, NefeshBarYochai wrote:
> UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) -The United Nations General Assembly on
> Friday overwhelmingly backed a Palestinian bid to become a full U.N.
> member by recognizing it as qualified to join and recommending the
> U.N. Security Council "reconsider the matter favorably."
>
> The vote by the 193-member General Assembly was a global survey of
> support for the Palestinian bid to become a full U.N. member - a move
> that would effectively recognize a Palestinian state - after the
> United States vetoed it in the U.N. Security Council last month.
>
> The assembly adopted a resolution with 143 votes in favor and nine
> against - including the U.S. and Israel - while 25 countries
> abstained. It does not give the Palestinians full U.N. membership, but
> simply recognizes them as qualified to join.
>
> The resolution "determines that the State of Palestine ... should
> therefore be admitted to membership" and it "recommends that the
> Security Council reconsider the matter favorably."
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/un-general-assembly-backs-palestinian-bid-for-membership/ar-BB1maJFb?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=db082d5b02d94a8399576ab978b8874f&ei=34
>
> The State of Palestine is currently occupied by an entity which is
> treating the Palestinian civilian population the same as the German
> occupation forces treated the civilians of Belarus during WWII.

Parts of it are being invaded by Israel. Most of the civilian casualties
seem to be being caused by the Israeli forces going after Hamas without
worrying too much about collateral deaths, and once Israel had decided
that it has rooted out the Hamas elements it gets out. This isn't
occupation.

> Where are the UN peace-keeping forces?

Nowhere. Israel understandably wants to root out Hamas - it doesn't want
to occupy Gaza. It probably wants to be able root out any successor
terrorist organisation too, and is behaving badly enough to pretty much
guarantee that there will be one.

Netanyahu is yet to admit that he needs an Palestinian state with enough
credibility to undercut the appeal of Hamas and Hezbollah and the like.
He needs the political support of his lunatic right-wing, and he may be
lunatic enough himself not to be able to realise it.

A UN peace-keeping force would follow from an agreement that was
rational enough to have a hope of offering peace, and that seem to be a
way off and people like NefeshBarYochai are a big chunk of the reason
why it is only a very long term prospect.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney