Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1oon1$28p2j$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Biden Says the Quiet Part Out Loud
Date: Sat, 11 May 2024 21:41:53 -0000 (UTC)

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>suzeeq <suzeeq@imbris.com> wrote:
>>On 5/11/2024 7:49 AM, shawn wrote:

>>>. . .

>>True. The Rs want to make sure the non-citizens don't vote

>Why would only Republicans want to make sure of that? Shouldn't every
>American want to ensure that foreign nationals aren't swaying out
>elections?

>>there's already a 'rule' for that. When you register you have to be a
>>citizen to do so.

>But no enforcement of it. It's basically on the honor system.

Every time you repeat this bullshit, I've corrected you on it. It's not
an honor system.

Two federal laws apply, National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (Motor
Voter Act) and Help America Vote Act (the post Bush v. Gore
legislation). States are required to offer voter registration on
simultaneous application for basic government services, like applying
for or updating the address on a driver's license.

The voter registrant provides his driver's license number or four most
significant digits of his Social Security Number. The state voter
registrar finds the registrant on either of these databases.

The birth certificate is linked to both databases.

The birth certificate is evidence of citizenship.

For naturalized persons, the registrant includes the federal court and
date of naturalization.

We've had Enumeration at Birth (1987 to 1991 rollout) in which each
state uses an application that applies jointly for a birth certificate
and SSN. Pretty much anyone born in the United States in the last three
decades was enumerated at birth. Again, use of the SSN is a pretty good
indicator of citizenship given the evidence of the birth certificate.

We've also had Enumeration at Entry since 2002, in which foreign
nationals applying for an immigrant visa simultaneously apply for an
SSN. If the visa is granted, then the application is released for SSN
enumeration. In this case, the SSN is linked to nationality records and
if queried, I suppose a record of "immigrated but not yet naturalized"
would turn up.

If you want a more robust system, then you are talking about creating an
all-encompassing federal database of birth certificates in Department of
Health and Human Services, receiving records from state vital statistics
registries. That may be more than a little creepy and could certainly be
used for fraud when the records leak. Then anybody needing to obtain a
copy of a birth certificate for official purposes from out of state
could obtain it from this database.

I don't see why there couldn't be a national database from
naturalization courts created, if one doesn't already exist. This could
be queried.

Might as well require internal passports like a Communist country if the
federal government is to collect all birth registrations at birth.