Article <v1t8d5$3gu9t$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1t8d5$3gu9t$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: True on the basis of meaning --- Tarski
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 09:34:12 -0500

On 5/13/2024 3:52 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-05-12 17:19:48 +0000, olcott said:

>>> Usually the word "true" is not used when talking about uninterpreted
>>> formal systems. Axioms and what can be inferred from axioms are called
>>> "theorems". Theorems can be true in some interpretations and false in
>>> another. If the system is incosistent then there is no interpretation
>>> where all axioms are true.
>>>

>> I am not talking about how these things are usually spoken of. I am
>> talking about my unique contribution to the actual philosophical
>> foundation of {true on the basis of meaning}.
>
> What matters is that you are not talking about those things as they
> are usually spoken of. The consequence is that nobody is going to
> understand you, and the consequence of that probably is that you
> cannot contribute.
>
>> This is entirely comprised of relations between finite strings:
>> some of which are stipulated to have the semantic value of Boolean
>> true, and others derived from applying truth preserving operations
>> to these finite string.
>
> Most of that doesn't require any stipulations about semantics but
> can be done with finite strings and their relations. Semantics is
> only needed to choose interesting problems and, if a problem can
> be solved, to interprete the solution.

The only way that a system of formalized natural language can
possibly know that {dogs} <are> {animals} is that it must be told.
See also Davidson's truth conditional semantics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth-conditional_semantics

The only way that "dogs are animals" acquires semantic
meaning is the stipulated relation: {dogs} <are> {animals}.

>> This is approximately equivalent to proofs from axioms.
>
> It shouod be exactly equivalent.
>
>> It is not exactly the same thing because an infinite sequence of
>> inference steps may sometimes be required.
>
> Infinite sequences create more problem than they solve. For example,
> you can prove that 1 = 2 with the infinite sequence

For real world things that are never required. The various
conjectures seem to require an infinite sequence of inference steps.

>    1, 1, 1, ..., 2, 2, 2
>
> where every element (except the first one) is equal to preceding element
> so by transitivity every element should be equal to the first one.
>
>> It is also not exactly the same because some proofs are not restricted
>> to truth preserving operations.
>
> A sequence of inferences that can derive a false conclusion from true
> premises should not be called a "proof".

When X or ~X can be derived by applying a sequence of truth preserving
operations to a set of expressions that have been stipulated to have the
semantic value of Boolean True then X is True or False. Otherwise X is
not a truth bearer.

This screens out epistemological antinomies from forming the basis
for any derivation of True(L, x). By doing this Tarski Undefinability
is defeated.