Article <v1teuh$3ifd5$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1teuh$3ifd5$1@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: cpu-x
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 12:25:50 -0400

Andrzej Matuch wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Sun, 12 May 2024 23:36:40 +0000, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> On 12 May 2024 00:34:11 GMT, Andrzej Matuch wrote:
>>
>>> It is technically possible to keep ownership of the software and make a
>>> profit with it, but it is rather difficult the moment you slap the GPL
>>> on the code.
>>
>> Tell that to the companies making a big business of Linux.
>
> Name them, and explain how it is the _software_ that is making them money,
> and not the _support_ for that software.

    Red Hat (on wikipedia):

    "They produce open-source code so that more programmers can make
    adaptations and improvements. Red Hat sells subscriptions for the support,
    training, and integration services that help customers in using their
    open-source software products."

Though frankly, what is the difference if you sell your software or if you
bundle software and provide support for that bundle?

    https://www.ibm.com/linux

    The enterprise Linux operating system is a solid foundation for your
    open-source, hybrid cloud infrastructure. Running Linux on IBM servers
    brings a new level of reliability, security and scalability to your
    business-critical workloads. Cut complexity and improve performance with
    Linux on IBM Z®, IBM® Linux ONE and Linux on IBM Power®.

    Dassault Systemes products on Linux:

        Abaqus
        Draftsight
        Simulia Execution Engine
        Cameo Systems Modeler (a massive Java app)
        Xflow

        And there seem to be a few more.

Others:

    Oracle
    Google
    Facebook
    Amazon
    Intel
    HP
    Dell
    Roku
    Tesla

    and on and on and on.

--
Alas, how love can trifle with itself!
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Two Gentlemen of Verona"