Article <v1tre1$3leqn$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v1tre1$3leqn$1@dont-email.me>

From: BGB <cr88192@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Making Lemonade (Floating-point format changes)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 14:58:53 -0500

On 5/13/2024 7:16 AM, Michael S wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2024 20:55:03 -0000 (UTC)
> Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de> wrote:
>
>> John Dallman <jgd@cix.co.uk> schrieb:

>>> I would be in favour of 128-bit being available.
>>
>> Me, too.  Solving tricky linear systems, or obtaining derivatives
>> numerically (for example for Jacobians) eats up a _lot_ of precision
>> bits, and double precision can sometimes run into trouble.
>>
>> At least gcc and gfortran now support POWER's native 128-bit format
>> in hardware.  On other systems, software emulation is used, which
>> is of course much slower.
>>

> Much slower?
> I think, at least for matrix multiplication, my emulation on modern x86
> was within factor of 1.5x from your measurements on POWER9. And that
> despite rather poorly chosen ABI for support routines. With better ABI
> (pure integer, with no copies from/to XMM slowing things down, esp. on
> Zen3) I would expect it to be a wash.
> With slightly higher-level API, (qaxpy instead of individual mul/add)
> a software can actually pull ahead.

IME, the cost of doing floating point in software isn't so bad so long
as one has integer types larger than the mantissa (and an OK way to
perform a widening multiply and take the high-order results).

So, for Binary64, one needs 64-bit integers, and for Binary128, 128-bit
can somewhat help (though, AFAIK, x86-64 still doesn't have any 128-bit
integer ops; and is a little awkward in some ways).

Emulation via traps is very slow, but typical for many ISA's is to just
quietly turn the soft-float operations into runtime calls.