Article <v20atp$asr6$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v20atp$asr6$1@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Unicode in strings
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 20:35:37 +0200

On 14/05/2024 19:43, MitchAlsup1 wrote:

> I think people in Japan should be able to use printf by using プリントフ
> There is way to much "english" in the way computers are being used.

I disagree entirely here.

For many things, international consistency is more important than
picking local-sounding names for things that have no localised meaning.
Having a Japanese name and spelling for "printf" doesn't give Japanese
programmers any useful information, it is not easier to type or read,
and simply ensures that they can't cooperate and collaborate with
programmers using different languages.  MS Office uses local languages
for its macros and formulas in Excel - I've never heard anyone in Norway
say they like it, and many who say it is a PITA that makes it hard to
work with and hard to search for information.  Most people IME who
macros a lot prefer to stick to English.

It works the other way too.  When discussing Karate or Judo, most
practitioners the world over know what a "mawashi geri" or an "o soto
gari" is - most consistently use the Japanese terms regardless of native
languages.  Most, that is, except Americans and some other English
speakers who feel they have to use English language terms, losing a lot
of the subtlety and nuances of the terms and being different from their
international peers.

And when people try to force localisation of terms that have no local
words, the result is just to encourage people to move everything over to
a single language (English).

 > It is similar to Anthropomorphizing animal behavior.

No, it is not.