Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v20tap$f3qv$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Dressing RG6
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 23:49:45 -0000 (UTC)

Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:
> On 5/14/24 23:46, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>>> Capacitance between the coax outer and the copper pipe? Proper coax
>>> shouldn't have any external field.
>>>

>> If the whole system is really coaxial, that’s true. Leaky shields, ground
>> loops, and so on, will modify that.
>>
>> Depending on the application, you may or may not care.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>>

> I've been putting coax inside copper tubes or braids to measure
> and/or reduce the transfer impedance (leakage). I did that to
> measure small signals in a particle accelerator, which typically
> has kicker magnets and RF cavities with kA currents and kV
> voltages nearby.
>
> A colleague developed a special low transfer impedance coax
> cable for this sort of application. It had two screens with
> intermediate magnetic shielding. It was unpleasant to work
> with, because part of the magnetic shielding was a steel
> spiral foil tape that was razor sharp. But it worked really
> well.
>
> Jeroen Belleman

Interesting, thanks.

Is that better than real solid copper hardline or (my fave) RG402
semi-hardline?

I’d like to read more about it, if you have a reference handy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics