Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v22f8i$tjac$1@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: cpu-x
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 14:01:54 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-05-13, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 2024 12:25:50 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Andrzej Matuch wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> Name them, and explain how it is the _software_ that is making them
>>> money,
>>> and not the _support_ for that software.
>>
>>     Red Hat (on wikipedia):
>>
>>     "They produce open-source code so that more programmers can make
>>     adaptations and improvements. Red Hat sells subscriptions for the
>>     support,
>>     training, and integration services that help customers in using
>>     their open-source software products."
>>
>> Though frankly, what is the difference if you sell your software or if
>> you bundle software and provide support for that bundle?
>
> The latter is a subscription, much like what the zealots are complaining
> about Windows software doing. Sure, the software will still be yours, but
> you won't get the support you need to figure out how to use it.

For Linux, corporations can usually find third party support on a per case
basis. When CentOS was a clone of Red Hat instead of whatever it is now,
corporations would use it instead of Red Hat and pay for support when
needed. (I'm guessing the same thing happens now with Rocky Linux and the
other Red Hat clones.) You don't have that third party option with Microsoft
when paying for yearly licensing. And that will especially be the case if
they start renting out their software instead of selling it when Windows 12
comes out.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."