Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v22g5b$tjac$6@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: cpu-x
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 14:17:16 -0000 (UTC)
 <v1f0m2$3ot7f$3@dont-email.me> <v1fr57$3urp9$3@dont-email.me>
 <v1jqfo$v3os$3@dont-email.me> <663fba6f$1$6436$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <66400e83$0$7173$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v1rjq7$31trl$1@dont-email.me>
 <66420423$0$6444$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v1u5nc$3nmqc$5@dont-email.me>
 <6642ac1f$0$3711206$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v1uc1l$3p35a$2@dont-email.me> <v1vlgg$5i38$3@dont-email.me>
 <6643618a$0$2363147$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

On 2024-05-14, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 May 2024 08:30:08 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote this copyrighted missive and expects
>> royalties:

>> Uh, projects with a reputation for breakage will stop being used at all.
>>
>>> Clearly you have never used the stuff.
>>>
>>> No, actually, you are depending crucially on it right now, without
>>> realizing it. Without Open Source, there would be no Internet.
>>
>> One thing people don't seem to understand is that most programmers,
>> especially "open-source" programmers, have pride!  They don't want to be
>> ridiculed for writing garbage. They want to please their uses and
>> respond quickly to issue reports. Many of them are even OCD about their
>> code.
>
> Only until they realize that they've made no money from it whatsoever.
> Whether you want to admit it or not, those programmers who were most
> insistent about supporting open-source eventually move on to greener
> pastures, and produce quality code in proprietary form.

I call BS on that claim. Clément Lefèbvre (for one) has been putting out
Linux Mint for over 18 years now. It keeps getting better and Clément shows
no sign of "moving on."

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."