Article <v22i6i$u8pk$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v22i6i$u8pk$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Termination analyzer defined ---RICHARD IS WRONG !!!
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 09:52:01 -0500

On 5/15/2024 2:53 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-05-14 14:10:47 +0000, olcott said:

>>> If you can prove that it never gives a wrong "yes" answer
>>> you can call it a "termination analyzer". Even better if
>>> you can prove that it never gives a "yes" answer for an
>>> invalid input.
>>>
>>> However, it is not useful if it does not say "yes" about any useful
>>> or interesting program.

>>> A partial halt decider is not a termination analyzer. Their input
>>> spaces are distinct.
>>>

>> It correctly determines the halt status YES or NO
>> for a specific limited set of programs and ALL of
>> the inputs to this limited infinite set of programs.
>
> The important difference is that a partial halting decider takes
> a pair (progam, input) for input but a halting analyzer takes
> a singlet (program).

One can analyze whether a specific program will halt with a specific
input. This is especially important when the received view is that a
specific program cannot possibly handle a specific input correctly.

H(D,D) must actually analyze the behavior that D specifies and D
specifies that D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach
its own simulated final state and halt.

In the above case a simulator is an x86 emulator that correctly
emulates the x86 instructions of D in the order specified by the
x86 instructions of D until H correctly determines that D correctly
simulated by H cannot possibly reach its own simulated final state
at line 06. This may possibly include one or more recursive
simulations.