Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v22qe2$109nd$1@dont-email.me>

From: Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: To adults - very few on this newsgroup - like
 badgolferman - what do you think of the facts?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 17:12:34 -0000 (UTC)

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> He must know how iOS updates its software. It’s spelled out pretty clearly
>>> in Apple’s own document above.
>>>
>>> Note: Because of dependency on architecture and system changes to any
>>> current version of Apple operating systems (for example, macOS 14, iOS 17,
>>> and so on), not all known security issues are addressed in previous
>>> versions (for example, macOS 13, iOS 16, and so on).
>>
>> I also know you both desperately want us to ignore reality: 67% of
>> devices run iOS 17, 19% run iOS 16, 8% run iOS 15 = *94%* of devices are
>> running the three most recent versions of iOS. Apple is regularly
>> patching iOS 17 through iOS 15.
>>

> I know you say that, but the article from Apple says something else. “Not
> all known security issues are addressed in previous versions…”

Which is accurate, but can be interpreted two ways:

1) Apple chooses to only fix some security issues for pragmatic, commercial
or other reasons within its control.

2) The issue only exists in newer versions of iOS and therefore Apple
cannot patch a non-existent bug in older iOS.

Arlen prefers to believe (1) and that Apple are intentionally leaving their
users at risk because they prefer to treat them like shit. He cannot
entertain the possibility that (2) could be true.

Unfortunately, Apple aren't helpful here. They could be much more explicit
about their policy, because since the last year or so the reality doesn't
fit what they've written.

It is possible that (1) is true and Apple only patch things that are
(knowingly) being exploited in older ios versions. I'm ok with that as
iphones are usually supported with the latest ios for at least 4-5 years.
And have been for much longer than any major android manufacturer.