Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v22qe3$109nd$2@dont-email.me>

From: Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: C23 thoughts and opinions
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 21:30:34 -0700

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> writes:
> On Wed, 22 May 2024 21:08:54 -0700, Keith Thompson wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> writes:
>>>
>>> We’ve discussed this before. It just seems like a sop to those stuck
>>> with antiquated, crippled build systems. In which case, how would they
>>> get an up-to-date compiler that supports it?
>>
>> Presumably by waiting until compilers support it, like any new feature.
>
> Time/effort would be better spent investing in a more versatile build
> system. Which would have the added advantage of supporting other languages
> besides C.

If you have an immediate need for something like #embed, then of course
waiting for compilers to implement it isn't suffficient.

But it's part of the C23 standard, that's not going to change, and code
will be written to use it.

I don't understand your apparently intense dislike for #embed.  The fact
that there are other ways to accomplish the same thing doesn't make it a
bad feature.  By all means don't use it if you don't like it.