Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2394c$13lvr$2@dont-email.me>

From: Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Dressing RG6
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 23:25:21 +0200

On 5/15/24 16:27, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 15 May 2024 11:03:22 +0200, Jeroen Belleman
> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> Empirical observation always trumps theory for me. Did you ground [1]
>>> the copper tubes or braids?
>>
>> Both ends were connected to the connector shields. The point of
>> the exercise was to reduce transfer impedance, which at low
>> frequency (<1MHz) is simply proportional to screen resistance.
>>
>> Jeroen Belleman
>
> Two parallel coaxes can make an attenuator.
>
> What was the coupled frequency response like?

Ah sorry, this message didn't seem to get sent...

At low frequency, the transfer ratio was simply the ratio
of screen resistance over characteristic impedance. At medium
frequencies, a few octaves roughly around 1MHz, there was a dip,
and above that a steady rise of about 10dB/decade.

Not all cables behaved the same. RG58 is poorly screened and
doesn't have the dip. UT141 had a very deep dip.

Details at
<https://jeroen.web.cern.ch/jeroen/coaxleakage/leakage.shtml>.

Jeroen Belleman