Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v26628$134g$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: Andrew <andrew@spam.net>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Additions to the iOS/Android Features Document
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 23:49:28 -0000 (UTC)

Gordinator wrote on Thu, 16 May 2024 22:24:41 +0100 :

> Thanks for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it, and it
> makes me less regretful for spending money for Usenet access :)

I never spend money if I don't have to but it takes more work to
find good apps that are free, especially since I disabled the ability
to buy apps long ago on my phone.

As a result, even some payware apps are legally free, such as the
fantastic search engine that you don't get from Google or Apple.
 <https://skyica.com/appfinder/get>

I even worked with that developer to test his app when it was
in the alpha stage (pre beta releases) and he added many of my
suggestions (unlike the author of that document on iOSvsAndroid).

BTW, given I pay for nothing that I can get for free, I also get my
Usenet for free - where I don't understand why people pay for Usenet.

But I'm not saying it's bad - as if everyone were like I am, then
everything would fall apart as nobody could make money off of us.
:)

>> In summary, the choices for Android are:
>> a. 75% AUX
>> b. 50% FM Radio
>> c. 71% SD SLOT
>
> That's pretty good stats, especially since FM radio is a fairly niche
> feature, and phones have been ditching all three for well over a decade now.

My Android phones are all free from T-Mobile and they all have the aux
jack, the FM radio, and the all important portable-storage sd slot.

Most iPhone users think the portable storage slot is only for extending the
internal memory - but it's also portable storage - which they can't do.
(Apple wants them to pay for the iCloud so they can save pictures & video.)

Most Android Camera apps can be set to save directly to the sdcard, which
reminds me, that's ANOTHER thing iOS can't do that is not in the doc.

The iPhone can't change the default Camera app as far as I know, whereas
Android can have as many camera apps as you want, where the Google GCam app
takes great night photos and the open source Open Camera does lots of good
things (too many to elucidate here but suffice to say iOS can't do them).
 <https://opencamera.org.uk/>
 <https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencamera/files/>
 <https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencamera/>
 <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.sourceforge.opencamera/>
 <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera>

The lack of Camera apps on iOS with those features should be in the doc.

>> As you said, Apple adds bloatware, it's just Apple bloatware,
>> and not carrier bloatware.
>
> Don't get me started on carrier bloatware. It's why I buy phones
> unlocked. It's why I install a custom OS on my phone, so I don't have
> the entire Office suite taking up space on my phone (please, Samsung, I
> don't need Play Store AND Galaxy Store!)

Buying phones "unlocked" usually means "network unlocked" where in the USA
(where I am), my carrier will unlock even a locked phone automatically when
you own the phone (they gave it to me for free but they owned it for two
years). Then they automatically network unlocked it without me even asking.
 <https://i.postimg.cc/NMcttY2s/networkunlock01.jpg>

But that network lock/unlock has nothing to do with bloatware removal.
You can always remove bloatware if you use adb freeware on a PC to do it.
 <https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/how-to-disable-and-remove-android-bloatware/49960/>

I repeat: All apps can be removed from the Android user space.
          (without being rooted)

So if there is bloatware, you can just remove it.

As an example, I've removed _both_ the Galaxy Store & Play Store from
my phone, and then I use Aurora to get any app I want from the Google Play
Store repository - without any Google or Samsung account on my phone.
 <https://i.postimg.cc/Bnyr9fP1/account01.jpg>

>> What's worse about Apple bloatware is most of it is unremovable.
>
> Well, to be fair, things like the Calculator and App Store are removable
> (for some reason).

As I said _all_ apps are removable from the user space on Android.
Without root. <https://www.google.com/search?q=adb+remove+bloatware>

>> Every app can be removed from the user partition without being root.
>
> That's cool - I've been using rooted Android on and off since 2017 and I
> didn't know that!

While I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 to get rid of Knox, unfortunately for
me, my Android baseband version is unrootable (according to the XDA
Developers' web site) so everything I do is as a normal user without any
account set up on the phone.
 <https://i.postimg.cc/NG5pHyBx/aurora10.jpg>

There is no bloatware since you can easily remove anything.

See? That's the kind of stuff that the author of that document doesn't
umnderstand, as he only believes what he sees in advertisements.

And nobody in advertisements is gonna tell you that you can remove anything
you want from an Android phone without needing to be rooted.

>> Apple doesn't have privacy. As with Ashley Madison, they advertise
>> they have privacy. But it doesn't exist for a number of reasons.
>
> Just looking at what Ashley Madison makes you give them to sign up
> eliminates the possibility of privacy.

Yup. When the Ashley Madison hack of 30 million people hit the news a few
years ago, it was said the company made you pay to scrub your data.

They took the money - but they never scrubbed the data.
They lied.

That's why they lost a big lawsuit (as I recall).

It's no different than Apple who lies all the time about having privacy.
On iOS you can't even have the Tor browser privacy for God's sake.

>> In addition, Apple won't allow the privacy of the Tor Browser.
>
> Apple is scared of freedom-giving web browsers. Oh, the irony of it!

Not really. Apple simply requires WebKit for all browsers.

Why? I don't know why. But WebKit has no privacy (according to the
makers of the tor browser - which I gave you the link to as I tell
the truth about all platforms).

Very many of Apple's zero-day holes are in WebKit by the way,
which is another thing Apple never touts in its advertisements.

>> Another of which is Apple inserts a unique tracking ID into
>> every app - which no other operating system but Apple does.
>
> So much for App Tracking Transparency.

Most people are unaware that Google can't insert a tracking ID into
downloaded apps and Apple always does.

Also most people aren't aware a free Android app works on all phones, while
a free iOS app does not - they only work on phones with your AppleID.

(Or your family plan - but that's essentially just another AppleID.)

>> I can vouch for the fact that the Genius Bar people are useless.
>>
>> I went to them asking them to test why the iPad had far worse
>> radio reception than Android and they didn't even know what a
>> decibel was.
>>
>> All they did was use an UV light on the water detection strip
>> (no water) and ensure that it had the latest operating system.
>>
>> That's all they can do.
>
> Wait, you asked them about radio reception, and they checked for water
> damage? And they didn't know what a decibel was? I know nothing about
> radio and I know what a decibel is, come on!

Android has many utilities for graphically displaying Wi-Fi and Cellular
signal strength in realtime whereas iOS doesn't have a single one, which is
something that is in the document that Steve has published for us to read.
 <https://i.postimg.cc/Gtywwn8f/signal01.jpg>

What I've noticed is the iPad sucks compared to Android for picking up
Wi-Fi access points that the Android phone can easily see but iOS can't.
 <https://i.postimg.cc/4xgmTTgm/wifi01.jpg>

When I brought it to the Genius Bar to debug, they knew absolutely nothing
about how to test Wi-Fi signal strength.