Article <v26hgd$20265$5@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v26hgd$20265$5@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: cpu-x
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 03:04:45 -0000 (UTC)
 <v1f0m2$3ot7f$3@dont-email.me> <v1fr57$3urp9$3@dont-email.me>
 <v1jqfo$v3os$3@dont-email.me> <663fba6f$1$6436$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <66400e83$0$7173$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v1rjq7$31trl$1@dont-email.me>
 <66420423$0$6444$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v1u5nc$3nmqc$5@dont-email.me>
 <6642ac1f$0$3711206$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v22fdi$tjac$2@dont-email.me>
 <6644ffb2$0$3711201$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

On 2024-05-15, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 May 2024 14:04:34 +0000, RonB wrote:

>>> So, it would be beneficial to open-source developers to make sure that
>>> their software breaks easily and crashes, so as to sell the support.
>>> Gotcha.
>>
>> Yeah, that would be brilliant, because customers would flock by the
>> droves to useless, crap software... But you may have something, people
>> keep using crap Microsoft Windows even though their "customers" are
>> really Microsoft's unpaid beta testers.
>
> They use Windows because it's what they got on the computer they purchased
> which cost less than a similar Mac. Considering how Windows can run on
> just about any hardware and support every third-party peripheral they plug
> into it, they are not likely to seek out an alternative, even if it
> crashes a few times. It also has the largest library of software, and tons
> of experts can be found on the web to help them with any technical problem
> they have, free of charge. Those are real benefits, no matter how much one
> hates Windows.

I find a lot better support for Linux on the Internet than I do for Windows.
There are a LOT of people who'll tell you how to fix Windows... only problem
is, none of it EVER works. When my wife's old computer BSOD'd (twice during
upgrades) I found (and tried) about 20 "solutions," none of which worked.
The second time I went to what actually worked sooner — using a Linux Live[B
USB to download her data and rebuild the computer from scratch. I could be a
great Windows support expert... I've already memorized the three Rs,
"Reboot. Reboot. Rebuild."

(Again this is from a years back and I will admit that wife has had a lot
less trouble since then. Although I still have to reset her network
something or other when it slows to crawl on the Internet (what is that
crap?). And I still think Windows is the most convoluted crap OS ever made.

> Linux has much of the above too, but its library of software isn't as
> impressive and the software's general quality isn't there either. It works
> on anything, that's true, but not anyone is comfortable with the process
> of installing it, no matter how easy it is.

I understand. I've known people who buy a new Windows computer every time
the old one slows down because that's all they want to know. "Doesn't work
right any more, but a new one."

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."