Article <v26hpm$20265$6@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v26hpm$20265$6@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: cpu-x
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 03:09:43 -0000 (UTC)
 <v1f0m2$3ot7f$3@dont-email.me> <v1fr57$3urp9$3@dont-email.me>
 <v1jqfo$v3os$3@dont-email.me> <663fba6f$1$6436$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <66400e83$0$7173$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v1rjq7$31trl$1@dont-email.me>
 <66420423$0$6444$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v1u5nc$3nmqc$5@dont-email.me>
 <6642ac1f$0$3711206$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v1uc1l$3p35a$2@dont-email.me>
 <6642b840$0$2422110$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v21i4u$msd2$2@dont-email.me>
 <6644afe4$21$1258348$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v22fpe$tjac$4@dont-email.me>
 <6645010c$0$3711188$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

On 2024-05-15, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 May 2024 14:10:54 +0000, RonB wrote:

>>> I am aware of them (I'm 45 years-old). In fact, Delphi Internet was my
>>> first venture onto the Internet.

>>> Not on price, that's for sure. If I recall correctly, those proprietary
>>> services also wanted to make sure that you remained exclusive to that
>>> service. There was no benefit for them to allow you to venture outside
>>> of their walled garden, since that would cause you to eventually look
>>> for a cheaper service which still gave you access to things like
>>> Usenet, IRC and the World Wide Web without needing to pass through
>>> their graphical interface. That might be why their systems were
>>> primitive compared to the Linux ones, based on UNIX, which resisted a
>>> user having any sort of middleman.
>>
>> Microsoft could use their own server software for free on their Cloud.
>> They don't. They use Linux for their servers. That's all you really need
>> to know about the superiority of Linux for servers. I think Apple mostly
>> gave up on the server market a few years back.
>>
>> If you're using the Internet, you're using Linux.
>
> Apple probably gave up because the hardware they were selling when they
> were pushing servers was wholly inappropriate, as was the software running
> atop it. As impressive as the PowerPC was, combining it with Mac OS at the
> time wasn't a great solution for running a server. Whether today or back
> then, the mere fact that you can run a server with Linux without even
> needing a GUI ensures that performance will be good, and better than the
> alternative software on the same hardware. Either way, I am glad that
> Linux runs servers well and especially that a license from Microsoft,
> Apple or IBM isn't required to create our own web server. I'm just
> pointing out that without Linux, one of those would likely be behind most
> of the servers.

I think Apple is very good at selling fancy goo-gaws in the retail market,
and the server market really wasn't their thing. They've been using UNIX for
years now and, if they really wanted to get into the server market, they
probably could. But that's not their strength. Besides, it's hard to compete
against free OS for servers.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."