Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v26qej$21m7n$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: fast discrete PHEMT one-shot
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 15:37:13 +1000

On 17/05/2024 2:46 am, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2024 00:40:32 +1000, Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 16/05/2024 11:15 am, John Larkin wrote:

>>> 1918!
>>>
>>> I think that was a bistable. I don't know when the monostable was > invented.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivibrator
>>
>> has a two quotes from 1942 one from 1943 and two from 1949 which make it
>> clear that monostable had been invented by then. It sees it as a cut
>> down bistable, so Eccles-Jordan is probably a good name.
>>
>> Since the first multivibrator circuit, the astable multivibrator
>> oscillator, was invented by Henri Abraham and Eugene Bloch during World
>> War I, it probably isn't the right name.
>>
>> https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/AD0410225.pdf
>>
>> is a 1963 Ph.D. on the bistable circuit.
>>
>>> People tend to roll eyes when I use one-shots in logic designs. I
>>> can't see why.
>>
>> You can't trigger a one-shot immediately after it has been triggered,
>> and the pulse width you get can be reduced if you re-trigger it too soon
>> after it has generated it's pulse, when it hasn't entirely recovered.
>
> The SN74123 retriggerable one-shot, and a Fairchild equivalent, are
> over 50 years old.

But you don't get a new pulse when you retrigger a retriggerable
monostable - you just stretch the one you had already started.

> And "it's" is not the possessive form. It's means "it is."

I do  know that but produce the mistake as a typo from time to time, as
you are well aware.

And you've snipped the rest of my post, without marking the snip.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney