Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v28jho$2cpc8$4@dont-email.me>

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Golly! of Python
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 21:51:52 -0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 12 May 2024 13:39:22 -0400, DFS wrote:

> The GuhNoo world desperately needs adult supervision.
> MS-haters are free to do what they want, but the resulting 1000+ distros
> - the large majority of which are barely used - has been a gigantic
> waste of time and effort.

How many billions do you think all those distros have cost to produce?

Who do you think should be the ones to provide the “adult supervision”?
Should it be Microsoft or Apple to go around buying all these distros and
shutting them down? How much would that cost? What would stop new ones
from appearing?

> For instance, despite contributions to LibreOffice from over 1000
> people, the Base database component has been extremely substandard and
> unchanged for years ...

Really?? It can interface to powerful industrial-strength back-end DBMS
engines like MySQL/MariaDB and SQLite. What can Microsoft Access do?