Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v28rap$2e811$3@dont-email.me>

From: Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: smart people doing stupid things
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 17:04:31 -0700

On 5/17/2024 1:43 PM, Edward Rawde wrote:
> Not sure how he managed to say master debaters that many times while
> seemingly keeping a straight face but it reminds me of this:
> https://www.learningmethods.com/downloads/pdf/james.alcock--the.belief.engine.pdf
>
> One thing which bothers me about AI is that if it's like us but way more
> intelligent than us then...

The 'I' in AI doesn't refer to the same sense of "intelligence" that
you are imagining.

AI (presently) is just "high speed", *mechanized* pattern recognition.
The advantage it has over the human brain is that it can exhaustively
examine ALL options (the brain prunes portions of the tree that it
THINKS won't yield results; an AI can do a deep dive and uncover
something that the brain would have ruled out, prematurely)

It's hard to imagine an AI coming up with /The Persistence of Memory/
without having previously "SEEN" something like it.

OTOH, having seen something like it, it's NOT unexpected if it created
a similar composition where everything appeared to be made of *stone*
(or *ice*, etc.).  "Let's try *this*..."

If you've ever met an /idiot savant/, you'd see the effect.  Ask him
to tie his shoe or sing a song and behold the blank look...