Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2abrl$2q8gt$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Dressing RG6
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 23:52:40 +1000

On 15/05/2024 8:08 am, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 5/14/24 23:46, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> John Larkin <jjSNIPlarkin@highNONOlandtechnology.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I've been putting coax inside copper tubes or braids to measure
> and/or reduce the transfer impedance (leakage). I did that to
> measure small signals in a particle accelerator, which typically
> has kicker magnets and RF cavities with kA currents and kV
> voltages nearby.
>
> A colleague developed a special low transfer impedance coax
> cable for this sort of application. It had two screens with
> intermediate magnetic shielding. It was unpleasant to work
> with, because part of the magnetic shielding was a steel
> spiral foil tape that was razor sharp. But it worked really
> well.

RG402 and RG405 semirigid coaxial cable has been around for ages.

https://www.awcwire.com/rg-catalog/rg402-coax-cable

With SMA soldered-on connectors it is good to 22GHz, and a solid copper
tube as as a outer screen is pretty effective. Some people do have a
passion for re-inventing the wheel.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney