Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2agq2$2rb2r$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Dressing RG6
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 15:17:22 -0000 (UTC)
 <v2394c$13lvr$2@dont-email.me>
 <d928b2f4-723e-ae36-6da4-9c39c23abdfa@electrooptical.net>
 <v2a69f$2pcfu$1@dont-email.me>

Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:
> On 5/16/24 17:41, Phil Hobbs wrote:

>>> Ah sorry, this message didn't seem to get sent...
>>>
>>> At low frequency, the transfer ratio was simply the ratio
>>> of screen resistance over characteristic impedance. At medium
>>> frequencies, a few octaves roughly around 1MHz, there was a dip,
>>> and above that a steady rise of about 10dB/decade.
>>>
>>> Not all cables behaved the same. RG58 is poorly screened and
>>> doesn't have the dip. UT141 had a very deep dip.
>>>
>>> Details at
>>> <https://jeroen.web.cern.ch/jeroen/coaxleakage/leakage.shtml>.
>>>
>>> Jeroen Belleman
>>
>> Very interesting results, Jeroen.  Thanks for posting them.
>>
>> Is the MF resonance due to the inductive and capacitive coupling
>> cancelling each other?  (They're 180 degrees out of phase, of course.)
>>
>> The frequency is way too low to be a transmission line effect in a 1-m
>> length.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>>

> The original data came from an HP3577 and I recorded only the
> magnitude. Since this looks like a resonance, that's also what
> I'd expect.
>
> I can't easily go back and look again. I did this in 2009, and
> I'm now retired. At the time, I was trying to make a choice for
> cables connecting beam trajectory pick-ups in the CERN PSB to
> their pre-amplifiers.
>
> I suppose -but did not verify- that the dip is a resonance of
> the outer inductance with a parasitic capacitance of my setup,
> with the screen resistance as the damping element. I can't quite
> make it fit that model though. The screen resistance doesn't
> differ enough between, for example, UT141 and RG58 to explain a
> deep resonance for the former, and its total absence for the
> latter.
>
> Jeroen Belleman

Plus you had some pretty frou-frou RG58 there, with foil and two braids.

The normal stuff is one tinned-copper braid with about 80% coverage.  You
can probably make a directional coupler with a pair of patch cords and some
heat shrink. (I should try that.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics