Article <v2ahqc$2qvr9$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2ahqc$2qvr9$1@dont-email.me>

From: James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Every D(D) simulated by H presents non-halting behavior to H ###
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 11:34:36 -0400
 <v1b7gl$2ndka$1@dont-email.me> <v1cla9$34iis$1@dont-email.me>
 <v1d2mi$9f72$11@i2pn2.org> <v1di1h$3b2m5$1@dont-email.me>
 <v1dtdv$3dqg4$1@dont-email.me> <v1du2i$3dt7u$1@dont-email.me>
 <v1fetd$3s7jo$1@dont-email.me> <v1ft42$3vdau$2@dont-email.me>
 <-5Gdnf-nQvstC6b7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 <v1gid8$4ilc$1@dont-email.me> <v1h9eu$9faf$1@dont-email.me>
 <v1iqli$nsva$1@dont-email.me> <v1ln3c$vfh$1@news.muc.de>
 <v1s6e6$397iq$2@dont-email.me> <v1slmi$3cjtp$1@dont-email.me>
 <v1t8tt$3gu9t$3@dont-email.me> <v1vc8j$3jmr$1@dont-email.me>
 <v1vsru$7eqc$1@dont-email.me> <v21r4i$otc2$2@dont-email.me>
 <v22k4b$umr4$1@dont-email.me> <v24oah$1h4u3$1@dont-email.me>
 <v256fc$1kais$1@dont-email.me> <v27d05$25ga0$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2838r$29rd7$1@dont-email.me> <v2a8th$2ps09$1@dont-email.me>

On 5/18/24 09:02, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-05-17 17:14:01 +0000, olcott said:

I recommend ignoring olcott - nothing good ever comes from paying
attention to him.

>>> If your compiler does not reject that program it is not a conforming
>>> C compiler. The semantics according to C standard is that a diagnostic
>>> message must be given. The standard does not specify what happens if
>>> you execute that program anyway.
>>>

>> It is not nit picky syntax that is the issue here.
>> The SEMANTICS OF THE C PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE SPECIFIES
>>
>> No D simulated correctly by any H of every H/D pair specified
>> by the above template ever reaches its own line 06 and halts.
>
> The standard allows that an program is executed but does not
> specify what happens when an invalid program is executed.

You've cross-posted this to comp.lang.c after a long-running discussion
solely on comp.theory. Presumably you're doing that because you want
some discussion about what the standard says about this code. For the
sake of those of us who have not been following that discussion on
comp.theory, could you please identify what it is that you think renders
this code invalid? Offhand, I don't see anything wrong with it, but I'm
far more reliable when I say "I see an error" than when I say "I don't
see an error".

>> Fully operational software that runs under Widows and Linux
>> proves that the above is true EMPIRICALLY.
>
> No, it does not. As the program is not strictly comforming
> and uses a non-standard extension some implementation may
> execute it differently or refuse to execute.

Which non-standard extension does it use?